Turning 30 was bittersweet for me. The thought of turning 30 was horrible for me and sort of depressing initially. Of course, I'm blessed to see another year, but 30 seemed so old. Lol. I guess that's because society often tells us that by a certain age we should have it all together or that when we, as women, reach a certain age we are too old to do _________.
Well, at the age of 29 I did some serious reflecting on my life over the past few years leading up to the BIG 30. Here's what I've learned.
1. Just because I took longer than others does not mean that I failed.
2. Guard my peace. I have learned that nothing is worth my peace of mind.
3. There is no shame in working a 9-5 job until my big break comes along.
4. Everyone has their season.
5. As long as I have breath in me it is never too late to pursue my dreams.
6. The universe saved me from a lot of things that I initially thought that I wanted. Thank you so much for the doors that closed.
7. So called friends come and go and that's okay, just because we grew up together does not mean we will continue together. I wish them the best but their chapter in my life is over.
8. Blood is NOT thicker than water.
9. Never let people project their insecurities onto me.
10. All of my steps have been ordered, therefore there is no need to be stressed or worried about my future. It's already planned.
11. Excuse my language but over the last few years, I've lost any f***s that I used to give about mundane things.
12. It's ok to say no without giving any explanations.
13. When people show you who they are, believe them.
14. People opinions of me are none of my business.
15. God is the source.
16. Move in silence.
17. Life is only 10% of what happens to me and 90% of how I react to it.
18. Always, always, always have a plan B. Always.
19. At work, I've learned to play the game. I've learned how to play chess and not checkers.
20. Let go of old grudges. I've learned that showing forgiveness is not a sign of weakness.
21. Save, save, save, save and then save some more. Put that money in the bank and leave it alone.
22. If I stay ready, I won't ever have to get ready.
23. Network more with bloggers in my area.
24. Always quit a company properly, always put in a two weeks notice. Never know if I have to back there. Always leave on good terms.
25. Stop going to church for people and go to have a better relationship with God. Ignore the fake Christians and focus on the good people that are members there.
26. Take better care of my body. As my metabolism starts to slow down it's imperative to maintain a clean diet.
27. Stop being so reactive. Not everything deserves my time or my energy.
28. I have the gift of goodbye. I do not stay at jobs, or in relationships that do not serve me any purpose. I'm no stranger to chunking the deuce in the wind haha.
29. Do not burn bridges, I never know when I might have to cross back over it.
30. My life is just beginning and the best is yet to come. Enjoy the journey.
Bye, bye 29. Hello, 30! I hear you really know how to treat a lady.