Hello, everyone! I am currently at waist length when my hair is straight, but my goal is to get to tailbone length or hip length by the end of this year. *crosses fingers* wish me luck, guys. Lol!
Here are some of the tips that have helped me to retain my hair length over the last few years.
- I only flat iron my hair every six months to a year. (This April will make a year since I last flat ironed my hair.)
- I protect my ends by wearing my hair in a bun four days out of the week. The reason why I wear my hair in a bun is to protect my hair from the elements. Having your hair constantly rub on the back of your t-shirt can cause too much friction and can dry your hair out, thus causing breakage.
- I do not comb my hair every single day. My hair responds better to less manipulation. I only take my hair down and comb it once a week.
- I only wash my hair two times out of the month. I do not wash my hair every single week because my hair gets really dry and matted if I do that. In between washes depending on how sweaty my scalp gets I use a dry shampoo on my roots but that's it.
- I stick to the same products. I have learned over the years that using too many different products all at once can cause my hair to become dry and brittle (I will post the products I used to use and how my hair responded to them.)
- I do not let everyone style my hair. I stay away from "kitchen hair do's" My current stylist that I use to flat iron my hair is very knowledgeable on my texture and specializes in natural hair care. You have got to do your research before you go to a salon. Another great rule of thumb is to look at your potential stylist hair while you're there for a consultation. If she can't take of her own hair what makes you think she can take care of yours? I stay away from beauticians that are scissor happy too and are rough with my hair. You have got to protect your edges at all cost, ladies.
- I won't lie and say that I sleep in a satin bonnet every night, but I do try my hardest to remember to put it on before bed. I usually put my hair up in a high ponytail (the pineapple method) or in a braided bun before bed.
What are some of the ways you retain length? Please leave a comment below and share with our subscribers.